Saturday, May 30, 2015

Page 4

SOMETHING TAPPED
 Thomas Hardy 1840-1928

Something tapped on the pane of my room
When there was never a trace
Of wind or rain, and I saw in the gloom
My weary Belovèd's face.

"O I am tired of waiting," she said,
"Night, morn, noon, afternoon;
So cold it is in my lonely bed,
And I thought you would join me soon!"

I rose and neared the window-glass,
But vanished thence had she:
Only a pallid moth, alas,
Tapped at the pane for me.

-o0o-

from "Arrow to the Heart" by Albrecht Goes 1908-2000

It was a severe task that lay ahead of me - it was as though I had to perform a grave and spiritual saraband. There were words to be spoken, comprehensible human words, but clearly there was more than just this. Klaus, my frater catholicus, could give absolution, the host and the chrism; he had for his people a language of signs which at one and the same time may not be understood and yet which must be and is understood. But I, here, today? Up there, in my own district, I knew the men condemned to die in the prisons as well as, and frequently much better than, the other men condemned to another sort of death in the hospitals. We had a broad basis on which to build our last hour together, and there was never need to try to start at the last moment. Here I must begin from almost nothing. For, strictly speaking, I should not admit that I knew what I had read in the documents. Otherwise he might well say to himself that the pastor had been spying on him, and had come here with the intention of putting something across. I could imagine him saying: “No thanks. No rubbish for me from your piety junk shop.”

“We have one hour left to spend together. It is up to us, my friend, to make the most of it.”

Was that the right way to start? I had said it principally to myself.

-o0o-

SHE SAW A MAN ON TELEVISION
Sophia White (no date available)

She saw a man on television
In a suit and tie
And he wore a fine felt hat
Cocked over his eye.
She saw him sing and whistle
And dance a little step
And she wished the men today
Would not be so unkempt.

She saw a man on television
Woo a pretty lass
With smiles, winks, and daffodils,
And diamonds made of glass.
She saw him tip his hat to her
And offer her his arm
And lead her to the dance floor
With gentlemanly charm.

She saw a man on television
Smile with easy grace
And wished that she could find a man
With such an honest face.
But she knew that man on television
Was a dying breed
And suits and ties and tall felt hats
Had all grown obsolete.

-o0o-

Ho! Ho! Ho! To the bottle I go
To heal my heart and drown my woe,
Rain may fall, and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tall tree will I lie
And let the clouds go sailing by.
-  J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973

-o0o-

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL ART
returns on Wednesday with a new series
PAINTINGS BY EUGENE DE BLASS
http://nowthatswhaticallart.blogspot.com

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-


No comments:

Post a Comment